Heel Health… Repair Cracked Heels Naturally
Cracked heels or heel fissures as they are technically called can be a very distressing condition. We say this not because they are painful, but because they are unsightly. Given their parched and flaky state you wouldn’t dare to slip into the sexy sling backs or the colorful flip-flops. The closed back shoes seem to be your only ally as they faithfully harbor your secret.
Cracked heels are not an uncommon issue. The severity however varies from person to person. In some, cracked heels are a cause of climate change (a drop in temperature) while some suffer rough cracked heels the year round. You might have tried several crack creams and lotions, but to no avail.
If you’re looking for a permanent solution for cracked heels, you can read on. We have listed natural methods to repair damaged heels. We’ve also discussed the cause of heel fissures to help you nip the problem in the bud wherever possible.
Why do your heels crack?
Hard heels with noticeable cracks, thickened calluses and discolored skin are caused by various factors. They are as follows:
- Standing for Long hours on hard floors and surfaces.
- Climate Changes
- Walking bare foot
- Ill fitting shoes
- Overweight persons display a higher tendency of developing heel fissures. There is excessive pressure on the heels which causes them to crack.
- Always wearing open-back shoes. These shoes expose your heel to hard surfaces and other environmental conditions that dry the skin.
- Certain medical conditions and diseases also cause cracked heels. These include diabetes, thyroid, psoriasis, eczema and athlete’s foot.
- Vitamin and mineral deficiencies is another cause for it.